ECDL- European Computer Driving Licence
The European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) is the internationally recognized standard of competence and a widely acceptable certificate that asserts that the holder has the knowledge and skills needed to use the most common computer applications efficiently and productively in the workplace.
The ECDL is developed and promoted by the ECDL Foundation, a global nonprofit organization established by the Council of Europe Information Scientists (CEPIS). In Cyprus the ECDL program is promoted and developed by the Cyprus Computer Society (CSS).
The NEW ECDL
After 16 years of success, the new ECDL has been launched in order to become more relevant, flexible and current.
New content has been added to the Modules to ensure coverage of the digital skills and knowledge required for now and the future. The new structure offers flexibility, allowing individuals and organisation to develop digital literacy, competence and expertise adequate to them.
The well known ECDL Core programme will be replaced by the ECDL Standard. To ensure continuity, the concept of the seven modules is maintained. However, the new structure allows the candidate to select from a list of elective modules three of the seven modules.
The new ECDL comprises of the four newly designed essential modules of ECDL Base (which certifies and individual’s digital literacy), plus three additional modules to develop and certify an individual’s digital competence. In keeping with the established global standard, this certification retains its 7-module structure but allows candidates to choose modules that reflect their own needs.
ECDL Base (4 Modules):
Computer Essentials - essential knowledge and skills relating to the use of computers and devices. This module replaces the ECDL Core Modules and 1 and 2 and includes new content.
Online Essentials - knowledge and skills underpinning the use of the Internet to identify and retrieve information, to engage in online activities, and to communicate effectively. This module replaces the ECDL Core Module 7 and includes new content.
Word Processing - skills related to working with text in a word processing application. There is no change in the content/syllabus of this module.
Spreadsheets - skills related to working with numbers in a spreadsheet application. There is no change in the content/syllabus of this module.
ECDL Options (3 Modules):
IT Security *
Online Collaboration *
2D CAD *
Health Information System Usage *
*Appropriate for adults
Reasons for obtaining the ECDL
- It is recognized by governments, national and international organizations, bodies, associations and the academic and professional communities. In Cyprus it is considered by banks, semi-Government organizations, private companies and the University of Cyprus as an additional qualification and thus an advantage when recruiting staff.
- It is the only IT Skills Certification Programme which has been established and developed by the Council of European Professional Informatics Scientists – CEPIS) and is supported by 45 International Associations of Computing and 400.000 Information Technology professionals.
- It has an international recognition and undoubted the widest recognition and applicability in the Cyprus, European and international labour markets.
- It is an acceptable international professional and academic qualification.
- The ECDL Syllabus of each individual certificate is vendor independent and is frequently reviewed and renewed to reflect the need of the work market and the developments in software and operating systems.
- The ECDL program can be attended by both adults and students from 10 years old.